Hey gang, Valkor here. It’s a new year and you know what that means? It’s time to make that resolution for a “new you”. We’ve all made the statement “this is the year I’m gonna hit the gym and shed the pounds” – I know I’ve done it. But making the resolution is easy but keeping it is a whole other story. And for a guy such as myself, who enjoys food and drink... well it makes shedding the pounds a little difficult. While cutting back on what I eat might be a little difficult, at least for the drinking part I have some control.
Enter the gang over at Tequila Herradura, who’d like to share
with us a couple of drink recipes that not only look good (possibly
taste good), but are also low in calories. And if you’re hitting
the gym at full-force, then you’re gonna need a little something-somethin
to help mellow you out. The look pretty tasty and if they can
save me from caloric-overkill, then I’m all in – especially anything
Kaffir Lime Leaf Spritzer
- 2 oz Herradura Silver
- 2 oz Kaffir lime leaf tea (chilled)
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1/2 oz lemongrass syrup
- For Kaffir tea: take 10 Kaffir lime leaves and place in a teapot or other heat proof receptacle and add boiling water. After 10 minutes remove leaves and allow cooling to room temperature.
- For the Lemongrass syrup: cut 2 stems of lemon grass into discs. Place in a hot pan and gently toast for 20 seconds. Add 1 liter of simple syrup and bring to the boil, simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat & allow cooling to room temperature.
- Place all ingredients in to a cocktail shaker filled with cubed ice. Shake hard and strain over ice into a tall glass. Garnish with a lemongrass spear and a mint sprig.
- 1 oz Herradura Silver
- 1 oz Dolin Bianco vermouth
- Dash orange bitter
- 1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1 oz club soda
- Pomegranate seeds
- Place all ingredients except the soda into a high balled filled. Add the club soda last then using a bar spoon stir the ingredients together to chill & combine the flavors. Garnish with a mint sprig and pomegranate seeds.
About Tequila Herradura (From the Company's Wiki Page): (officially Grupo Industrial Herradura) is a tequila distiller located in Amatitán, Jalisco, Mexico. It was formally founded in 1870 by Félix López and the business remained in the family for over 125 years. Today it is owned by US beverage maker Brown-Forman, but the tequila is still made in the same place and facilities under a Mexican subsidiary. Tequila products sold under the Herradura name are still 100% agave, made in the same traditional ways as those of the last century. The company makes other tequila products such as El Jimador a tequila blend spirit which is the best seller in Mexico as well as New Mix, a tequila and grapefruit soda beverage. Since its acquisition by Brown-Forman, Herradura has had a number of promotional efforts in Mexico and the United States, including inviting artists to use tequila barrels at the bases for art pieces, which are then displayed and auctioned off for charity.