Hey gang, Valkor here. Man we haven’t even gotten through Halloween and Thanksgiving is still weeks away, yet there’s no stopping the holiday train, so don’t be surprised as you look around, you start seeing ads, decorations and such. And here at TOV, we’re no different. We embrace the Christmas season with open arms. And what better way to kick things off than with sounds of the season, brought to you by the sexy sax of David Koz. And he’s not alone as he’s brought along some big names to ensure that “Dave Koz & Friends – The 25th of December” is one of the best Christmas albums out there.
It used to be that the holiday season doesn’t truly set in until you start hearing Christmas tunes – at least that’s the case for me; I’d turned on the radio when that first song played, I was filled with the warmth of holiday cheer. Now, it’s not as “cheerful” since you’re bombarded inside and out of all sorts of holiday adverts, decorations, sales and such. But still it’s all about the music that always sets the mood for me and I keep a few favorites around the house for the occasion. And now I can add Dave Koz and Friends “The 25th of December” to add to my playlist. Filled with some of Christmas favorites sung (or performed) by some of the greatest musicians to date with Koz playing sax in the backdrops, all with a soulful spin. Artist and songs include:
- The First Noel
- It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (Johnny Mathis)
- This Christmas (Eric Benet)
- Do You Hear What U Hear? (Gloria Estefan)
- My Grown Up Christmas (Heather Headley)
- Another Silent Night (Richard Marx)
- Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! (Kenny G)
- The 25th of December (BeBe Winans)
- I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm (India Aria and Trombone Shorty)
- O Holy Night (Jonathan Butler)
- Medley: O Come All Ye Faithful / Angels We Have Heard On High / Hark The Herald Angels Sing (Fantasia)
- All You Need Is Love (Stevie Wonder With Eric Benet, Johnny Mathis, Heather Headley, Richard Marx, Jonathan Butler, Maysa, BeBe Winans, Gloria Estefan)
I’ve been sampling the album all weekend and Dave Koz and friends is a little slice of perfect that pairs well with the Christmas/holiday season. Each song compliments one another, bringing it home with a group effort that needs to be heard through the very best of speakers (or a great pair of headphones). Sure the songs are been there, done that but the smooth sounds of a Dave Koz sax along with a host of singers just seem to clique so well. My personal favorites are “This Christmas” (Eric Benet), Another Silent Night (Richard Marx) and the title song “The 25th of December” (BeBe Winans). But I’m cool with the entire album. And if every season begins with Dave Koz 25th December album, then I’d be OK with that!
Along with the album, Dave and a select number of performers will be on a Christmas Tour; the show in New York will feature Maysa, Christopher Cross and Jonathan Butler. But if you can’t make it to one of the shows or it just isn’t appearing near your neck of the woods, then definitely pick up Dave Koz and Friends 25th of December album either through digital service or CD – it’s definitely worth the price of admission. And out of TOV 5 stars, I give this album a perfect 5.