So you aren't sure about dinner plans for this weekend? Well, you want to try something to impress your date or a guest but you're untalented when it comes to cooking (ME!). Well this week's appetizer and entrée is from the island that imports more Rum than .8, this weeks choice is Puerto Rico.
For starters Bacardi Rum Balls, one of the easiest recipes in the world that if done right will start an intoxicating evening,(Literally) all you need is a Ziploc and a fridge I don't suggest you any prep work as this only take about 5 min. to make and these they go best right on the spot, Then followed up by Steak and onions, which is just seasoning the meat and knowing when to add the onions at the end. Oh and some rice, but you can always "Uncle Ben it," if you have to.
I got these recipes from one of my favorite sites called www.elboricua.com which is a site dedicated to promoting Puerto Rican style cooking and living.
Bacardi Rum Balls
- 1 cup Vanilla Wafers - crushed
- 1 cup of Pecans or Walnuts - crushed
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup Bacardi Dark rum
- Powdered Sugar
Crush the Vanilla Wafers using a food processor or if you don't have one - put the wafers in a sealed plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush finely, no chunks or lumps Crush the nuts same process as for wafers. Place in a large bowl, add the honey and rum. Form into small balls and roll in powdered sugar. Enjoy!
Sub: Steak and Onions
- 2 pounds beef steak, thinly sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- dash dried oregano leaves
- 2 large white onions, sliced in rings
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Dump all ingredients in a gallon-size plastic bag and turn so that all the ingredients mix together. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or a couple of days (or freeze for later use).
2. Dump contents of bag in a heavy skillet and bring it to a boil. Cook over low heat, covered, for about 40 minutes or so. The meat will be very tender and tasty. Serve with white rice and tostones...
Now since you have that nice bottle of Bacardi Dark Rum, I found some recipes to help seal the deal These I got directly from Drinksmixer.com
Nawlin's Po-Boy recipe
- 3 oz Bacardi® dark rum
- 1/2 oz grenadine syrup
- 2 oz orange juice
- 2 - 3 oz Hawaiian Punch®
Using a hurricane glass, filled with ice, add as follows: rum, grenadine, and orange juice. Then fill to the top with Hawaiian Punch. Stir and garnish with cherries, lime, or orange. 15% (30 proof)
Serve in: Hurricane Glass
Shark's Mai Tai recipe
- 1 part Bacardi® dark rum
- 1 part Bacardi® light rum
- 3 parts Rose's® sweet and sour mix
- 2 shots Rose's® grenadine syrup
- 1 shot Bacardi® 151 rum
- 3 parts ice
Mix all ingredients in a blender except for the 151 rum. Pour into a cocktail glass with ice to about 1 inch below the rim. Add the shot of 151 but do not mix. Let settle for about 1 minute before serving. 21% (42 proof)
Serve in: Cocktail Glass
Remember when all else fails…try Bacardi Rum!!!